Scholarships to Attend the 2017
Public Radio Engineering Conference
||The Association of Public Radio Engineers Board of Directors is pleased to announce the availability of scholarships to attend the 2017 Public Radio Engineering Conference (PREC), held at the Tuscany Suites, Las Vegas on April 20th and 21st, immediately preceding the annual NAB Show. The PREC is always an excellent opportunity for professional development through targeted technical seminars, contact with broadcast equipment manufacturers, and of course networking with public radio professionals. The scholarship will include APRE Membership for one year, the PREC registration fee, and 3 nights lodging at the conference hotel. The scholarship is open to public radio station engineering and operations personnel who meet any of the following criteria: a) Public radio station personnel new to the field ("new" is defined as employed fewer than 2 years at the station); b) Public radio station personnel who have not attended PREC in the last 5 years; or c) Other industry representatives as identified by the Board of Directors. Full details of the application process can be found below.
Applying for the PREC Scholarship
Thanks to generous sponsorship, several scholarships will be available from the Association of Public Radio Engineers for those interested in attending the Public Radio Engineering Conference.
The next conference will be held April 20-21, at the Tuscany in Las Vegas.
PREC Scholarship includes:
- APRE Membership for one year.
- PREC registration fee (note: may not include NAB conference registration).
- 3 nights’ lodging (Wednesday, Thursday & Friday) at the conference hotel during the PREC.
Eligibility & Requirements:
The scholarship is open to public radio station engineering and operations personnel who meet any of these criteria:
- Public radio station personnel new to the field (“new” is defined as employed fewer than 2 years at the station).
- Public radio station personnel who have not attended PREC in the last 5 years.
- Other industry representatives as identified by the Board of Directors.
How to Apply:
To qualify for scholarship, candidates must submit the following two items via email, by January 13 2017:
A recommendation letter from your station’s General Manager or you supervisor substantiating the station’s need and willingness to cover recipient’s travel costs. Recommendation letter should include:
- Candidate’s name.
- Job title or position.
- Length of time working at the station.
- Rationale for attending and/or support for the candidate’s attendance.
- Confirmation whether or not the station can support the travel costs of the candidate.
A letter from the scholarship candidate explaining why you and your station would benefit from your attendance at the Public Radio Engineering Conference. Please indicate the following items somewhere in your letter:
- Your primary background (Engineering, I.T., Operations, Traffic, etc.)
- Number of years you have been employed at your station.
- The last year you attended the PREC.
- If your station is not covering travel costs, who will pay?
- How did you learn about the Public Radio Engineering Conference?
Both letters should be emailed together to email@example.com.
- The PREC Scholarship is limited to one recipient per station or group per year.
- Recipient is responsible for all travel-related expenses, including transportation and food; ideally your station will support you and cover those expenses.
- Applicants will be notified in early February, 2017, regarding scholarship awards.
If recipient is for some reason unable to attend the conference, immediate notice must be made both by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We ask that you notify us as soon as possible to allow APRE time to offer the scholarship opportunity to an alternate recipient.